Friday, May 7, 2010


Recently I was reminded of a great statement made by President Gordon B. Hinckley about the realities of this life's journey. He said:

Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed. The fact is that most putts don't drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to be just people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey .. delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.

I've thought a lot about this recently as I experience the highs and lows that come to me, and as I watch friends and loved ones suffer disappointment and/or disillusionment. I admit that I struggle not only with seeing my own putts miss the hole, but more so when I watch the putts of these loved ones not drop, see them chew the tough meat they are dished, or as they subsist in throws of mutual toleration. It is more painful at times to watch as others suffer, knowing there is little if anything I can do

Alma 53:15 gives the account of the people of Ammon who, because of a covenant they had made not to raise their swords, had to watch as their brethren took up arms in their defense. It states that "therefore all those who had entered into this covenant were compelled to behold their brethren wade through their afflictions, in their dangerous circumstances at this time."

I think there could be nothing worse, and yet at times nothing that causes greater humility and dependence upon Christ as our Savior, to watch as those we love face the fiery darts of temptation and adversity, and experience the let down and heartache of life. We, the observers, are left with no weapons but heavy and loving hearts, and bended knees as we pray that angels may attend them.

This week, I offer up my sincere invocation that God will send angels to comfort family members that have experienced one setback after another, a sister-in-law that miscarried at 4 months, a family in economic hard times, a friend that lost his job, tired mothers, worried husbands, good friends at the dregs of hope for happiness, and loved ones who cannot seem to find answers, hope or clarity.

I love you and I pray for you.

1 comment:

  1. Betsy,
    I was getting ready to hit the hay when a thought came to mind to read your blog.....I love you. Our family just read Alma chapter 53 this morning......I am grateful for your insight, wisdom, humility and prayers for those you love and care about. We reminded the children about commitment, covenant, respect and honesty in promise.
    Night! Love you, Katie

    ReplyDelete