Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tina, Tina, Tina....


I admire Tina Fey....

A Philly born, UVA educated, and former SNL star who worked the front desk at the YMCA while studying comedy post-grad. Fey has created an entire world, now known to us as 30 Rockefeller Plaza, with characters, dynamics, humor, and lives exaggeratedly real, yet completely made-up.

Her unique genius is demonstrated through the script as Liz Lemon---the late 30's, messy haired, could be pretty if she wasn't in love with food and her job, disgustingly normal, yet dirty-habit, average jane. She eats Cheetos she finds in her pants pocket from last summer, dated the beeper king of New York, is a self-dubbed high school ubernerd, admittedly awkward when it comes to relationships and sex, yet somehow extremely prowess at comedy writing, network dynamics (and steak-eating).

Fey is a political genius, and even though I am not a fan of political manipulation or commercial, when it comes to 30 Rock I am a willing subject. The manipulation is so blatant it is comical...and that is exactly why I love it. The effrontery is disarming, the offense in broad daylight, the accost well worth its weight in open-mindedness. And this, is why I let you into my living room every week. Tina Fey, you have created a world wherein politics and our ridiculous, base human nature can be dissected in parallel...... as they should be.

With the sexy and civically savvy (say that 5 times fast) Matt Damon now on board, I cannot see Tina Fey's world getting any smaller anytime soon. So bring on the backwoods hillbilly, the upper tax echelon thick-haired executive, the insanely politically incorrect star, and the over sexified washed-up muffintop blonde. You are welcomed at my table. My heart and mind, are currently open to your humor, and your politics as you have carefully yet candidly walked that thin line very well. For now, I think I'll stay on for the rest of the ride.

I salute you Tina Fey. My world is now a better world, thanks to your pretend world. "I want to go to there"

No comments:

Post a Comment