Sunday, January 2, 2011

A tribute to my parents


Recently I have thought a lot about the character of my parents. I admire them beyond anyone else I have ever met. They are my safe place, the guardians of my heart, my champions, my heroes, my examples of humility and hard work, and in essence, they embody what I value most in human character and devotion. They are devoted to our family, they are devoted to each other, and they are devoted to God.

Recently, I found myself in a situation which required help beyond my own ability. They dropped all of their plans, and within minutes, were on the freeway and in Henderson by my side. They hugged me, they talked with me, they stroked my hair, administered a priesthood blessing, laughed with me, cried with me, and made me feel "safe" again.

My mother is the most sensitive and aware individual I have ever known. She has always championed the underdog, wept for the downtrodden and for those who did not have the comforts she has known. She taught her children the joy of friendship with those she calls the "old ones", and the passion of their life stories. She embodies the brazen fortitude and boldness of her heritage, and carries the knowledge that the blood and sacrifice of those who have gone before her courses through her veins. She sacrifices endlessly for her children, and we are close to each other because of it. Every holiday was magical...a tradition her grandchildren now know. As she has been ill these past several years, I find myself praying that the children I am yet to have, will have the opportunity to know their grandma. Her prayers bear the force of Heaven, and angels are always near when she implores God on others' behalf. I have felt the healing power of her faith from across the ocean, over continents, and while holding hands in the front living room. Our hearts are connected with binding threads, better understood and recognized as I grow older. I think God gave me her, and her me. She is a poet, a teacher, a creative genius, a dancer, an animal lover, a fairy godmother, butterfly wings and gingerbread men, homemade rolls, a warm hearth, a cozy sunday cuddle, beautiful black angel eyelashes, a horrible joke teller, but the best joke audience I know, innocent, naive, yet sharp and fierce. She is my best friend.

My dad is the best man I have ever met. He silently does more than is ever asked of him, and is the hardest worker I know. He is meek and humble, yet politically savvy, and understands human nature innately. He does what's right just because it is the right thing to do, and I am always humbled when people approach me and tell me of the time when "Mr. Fowler helped them pay their tuition", "helped them graduate from college", "found them a scholarship" "provided needed counsel, assistance, a priesthood blessing" or served them in some other way. He fills my car with gas every time I visit home and leaves a bag of licorice or package of Mambas on the seat for my drive back to Las Vegas. He holds my hand on walks. This morning he scraped the windshield and warmed up the car before I could go outside. He sends me e-mails during the week just to say he loves me. He cries when he talks of his children serving missions, and when he speaks of his love of the Lord. He is devoted to my mother, and he loves his children beyond measure. He pops my back and cooks me pancakes for breakfast when I go home, hugs and wrestles with his grandkids, loves them, cuddles them, reads to them, and prays for them.

I love the way my parents admire and support one another. It is a rare thing to hear either say a harsh word regarding the other. While I know they have had their differences, and at times wish I could have heard them fight or argue, I have learned much from observing their mutual respect and love, devotion and communication. Once they stopped for dinner on their way home from San Diego. They had been in the car together for 5 hours, yet they still laughed and giggled with each other as we ate hamburgers, as Dad told his newest dirty joke or mom ruined a punchline.

Mom and Dad - I don't know what life would be without you. You are my anchor, and my safe place. I love you beyond measure, and I thank my Heavenly Father for giving you to me! You are the best people I know. I am glad we have each other for FOREVER!

2 comments:

  1. and THAT explains how they created such an AMAZING daughter!!! so many of those characteristics you just described in them, i see in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this for the first time tonight. Betsy, I am crying.....you have just described our parents in a way that I could only think of and hold in my heart. I am so grateful you shared this post. I love you sis. I love mom and dad and all of us! You are one amazing Spirit and the Lord knows exactly who you are!

    ReplyDelete