Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Keep it simple, keep it real.

Henry David Thoreau once said that “a man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let go."

Recently I have made some positive efforts to simplify life. The idea came when I was asked to give a talk on the topic in Sacrament a few months ago. While preparing the talk I realized that my life was full of unnecessary elements that in the end, were encumbering progress.

I subsequently began weighing things in my life in an attempt to gauge importance, results, priority, and healthiness. I examined friendships and how they made me feel, television programs I watched, the amount of time I spent online, sleeping habits, exercise, books, etc etc etc, and began deciding which things would stay, which would go, and which needed some alteration. It was interesting when I began realizing the difference between pursuits that were "good" but perhaps not "better" or "best" for me at this time.

Through this effort I have learned that attaining simplicity is anything but easy. It takes dedication, vigilance, and most importantly SACRIFICE to weed out or prune the excess and superfluous activities, habits, associations, comforts, and traditions that may weigh us down.

Since attempting this however, I have noticed a difference. Relationships have become more meaningful, habits have become more solid, and I have felt healthier, happier, and even more direction and ability to focus. Emotionally I feel better, and most importantly, it seems I am better able to tune into the messages of the Spirit.

This past week I have felt old habits and time-consumers creeping back in, and as they have, it has made me anxious. So, rather than letting myself get caught up in high maintenance & non-important drama, and/or empty pursuits and relationships, I will circle the wagons and refocus on the simple things that bring true joy. Things like seeing my nephew get baptized this weekend, (good job Preston), spending time with my parents talking about ancestors and the sacrifices they made, scripture and lesson plans, friends I truly love, prayer, and good health.

As I do so, I am grateful for the guideposts (scripture, prayer, and living prophets) that help me understand the things that ought to be prominent in my lfe, and the necessity of sacrifice to ensure their place.

2 comments:

  1. Is it creepy that I'm commenting? Do you mind? Especially since you didn't invite me? But I found you through Katie's blog. And I love what you've written so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy, I hope you don't mind but I am your sister and must say something here.....
    I have always needed to have you here in the world for many reasons, that I could never express, but this post is an example of one of them.
    Thank you for teaching me again and letting me learn from you. You may be my little sister, but I believe your spirit is much older and wiser. I love you sis.

    ReplyDelete